The Žiča monastery is located only a few kilometers from the center of the city of Kraljevo.
It was built in the heart of the medieval Serb state, shortly after establishing the Orthodox Serbian Church's independence, by Sent Sava and his brother Stefan Prvovenčani, sons of Stefan Nemanja. Symbolically, it was built at an equal distance from Rome and Constantinople, stressing the tendencies of the medieval Serb state to balance between these two.
In 1219 it becomes the first Archbishopric of Serbian Orthodox Church, with Sava as the first archbishop. Two years later, in 1221, King Stefan Prvovenčani was crowned there.
It was vandalized under the onslaught of Bulgarians and Tatars, restored by King Milutin, but destroyed again many times. Little is known about this monastery during the Ottoman Empire.
It was only in 1855 that it was restored again, and King Milan Obrenović was crowned here. According to a legend, for each coronation, one door was made for the King to enter, and immured once the coronation is ended. That is why this monastery is also called "Sedmovrati Hram", ("The Seven-doors Temple").